The Colonel Benjamin Stephenson House is an important landmark that links the early history of Edwardsville to the earliest days of the Illinois Territory circa 1809 and the establishment of Edwardsville as the center of government and commerce. It is a connection between Territorial Governer Ninian Edwards, Colonel Benjamin Stephenson and the State of Illinois.
Built in 1820, this two-story brick home, constructed in the Federal style, is an excellent example of architecture from this early period. Each of the four rooms has original millwork; and two of the
four original mantels are designed in the Adams style. The home was built with native material by skilled local craftsmen.